Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: lipstick
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:07 pm 
john everymaus

pretty gruesome. In my work I have to deal with catch basins a lot so was particularly grossed out just reading about it. I gathered that the book was more about the news story than the murders, but I am still not clear on what Einstein was right about!
Let me know if you figure it out!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:46 pm 
john everymaus

How about that ending? Who am I, what is this, truth exists. I love that. Not sure what he intended with those lines but it almost seems like something John Maus would do (I find this song to be really Maus-like in general).

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:00 pm 
john everymaus

I think he is saying who am I, as in, who is the real killer.

The man who was convicted of the Lipstick Murders was probably not guilty. The evidence didn't really add up and he always claimed that his confession was forced. But it was 1946 and they probably just needed to make sure somebody was in jail. It was also thought that the same person didn't necessarily commit all three murders and there were several other suspects.

We need to know what Einstein thought. Somebody should read that book, and let us know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:13 am 
hippopotamaus

I have a feeling the line "What is this?" might be a reference to "Psycho Killer" ("Qu'est-ce que c'est") but maybe not since that translates to "what is it?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:06 pm 
anonymaus

I interpreted the Einstein reference as a narrator invoking Einstein's relativity theory to moral frames of reference (rather than physical frames of reference like the actual theory.) This is again referenced in the line "that implies truth exists", i.e. "is there any real truth anyway"?

Once I understood that he was singing "Einstein was right", I interpreted the song to be told from the perspective of a killer who tries to distance himself from the crime. "I saw it happen, I saw you murdered" completely glosses over the fact that not only did he see it, he is the killer. Although the line "who is this, who am I what is this" does lend a more charitable interpretation: the narrator could have multiple personalities and/or be driven by insanity and is surprised to have woken up having committed the murder. Although that line could just as easily come from a nihilistic killer who shrugs off the murder by saying "in a way, I'm not really the same person who committed the murder because it's been some time and I've changed."