Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: SHOWS AND STUFF
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 pm 
john everymaus

love that song... it is on the Live at Pacific Palisades CD also.

this is from the very first time I ever saw Ariel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-YSt0eoHo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
Ariel was at his very best at the Bethnal Green show on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:06 pm 
little maus on the prairie

LadyLazarus wrote:
[ img ]
Ariel was at his very best at the Bethnal Green show on Wednesday.
You two need your heads banging together, oh wait.......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Hahaha I feel very lucky to be non-concussed. Thank you, Iris, for having a dainty little skull that causes minimal damage. Back story behind this is that some idiot started actually hitting Ariel once he took his top off. It was even leaving pink hand prints on him. I guess Ariel went round to each person in the front row and cracked their heads together to make a point. Point taken! ARIEL PUNK.
What a show. Ariel was super friendly and engaged with most everyone. I bumped into him in the street en route to the venue and he knew me by name. AP doesn't miss a trick. I acted as UK ambassador and apologized for the band's reception on Britain's behalf, but he insisted it was all great. "What did Tim and Jorge say? Don't listen to those guys!" Ariel is no complainer. He was even happy to sign my poster (he dedicated it, too, and spelled my name right- which no one ever does!).
Got to talk to Harry Merry again. Always a pleasure. He was very proud of this weird curly cucumber that he had picked up off the street. It was probably a reject from the local farmer's market, but he was showing it off and talking about how he was going to eat it. He broke one of his claws while playing his keyboard and he was giving it away as a souvenir. No one was taking it, so I said I'd have it. Not sure what to do with it now, but you can't have it! I guess now I can clone my own strange musical genius from his DNA. I've got two Harry Merry music mixes that he gave me that I will upload and share with everybody (once I've worked out what the tracks are and tagged them all). Great, obscure Dutch psych and glam from the 60's.
Tim Koh was wearing a berka and Don Bolles was rocking that bikini again. Such exhilarating raw energy during the show and a fucking fantastic set list including a lot of my favorites (Getting High in the Morning, Hot Pink!, Round and Round). Here is a video I shot during Somewhere in Europe. Ariel approached as I was filming and licked my camera lens!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Ni2p10jlI

Always lovely to meet up with Wowiezowie, too. I said so before, but thank you so much for taking me to the Tate (and generally hanging out with me). Got my dose of culture and saw some Bacon, Magritte, and Dali works in person, which made Ariel Pink day pretty much perfect!

Last edited by LadyLazarus on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

And to think I was actually in London myself when this show went down. :headslap:

Ironically, vacations are often the hardest time to find free time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm so bummed I didn't get to meet you, RareGoat. Next time!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:24 am 
little maus on the prairie

Totally echo Jaime's sentiments regarding the show, although I didn't enjoy it as much as the Scala a few months ago due to the fact that I thought the sound was fucking atrocious. The venue had no ear plugs so I had a hard time (10 years of gigging and rehearsing 3 times a week have had a negative effect on my hearing) I had to leave at one point, it was hurting too much. Yes, I'm a pussy!
The crowd were very rowdy, it's a tiny venue so people were very up close. I saw the slapping incident, some guy reached up and whacked Ariel with his open hand leaving a bright red hand print on his chest, it certainly threw him for a few seconds. He said something about how much it hurt then pushed all the people in front of him back before banging Jaime and Iris's heads together!
I probably enjoyed Harry more to be honest, seemed like he'd been enjoying tour life as his sailor suit was covered in food stains! I was very entertained by the strange couple standing next to me playing 'air keyboards' all the way through his set.

Have a feeling it's gonna be a while till we see Ariel again in England, 3 UK tours in 7 months is pretty good going.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:49 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I feel very accomplished that I managed to see Ariel four times on the Pom Pom tour (even caught him while I was back home visiting family in America), but still want more!
The things you disliked were exactly the things that made it for me, Wowie! Tbh I thought Ariel had way more sound problems at every other venue I've seen him play (or, at least, he was more particular about it in those cases and thus, more frustrated). You should invest in a pair of musician's ACS Custom ear plugs like I've got. They were only about £12 or something and come with a handy carrying case. I value my hearing: never go to a gig without them. Those orange foam ones they gave you suck (and I told you so!). I used to stay with a snorer who sounded like the head witch in Suspiria, so I've probably tried everything at one point or other. I also enjoyed the rowdiness to a degree. I didn't get knocked to the floor like I did the next night at the OBN IIIs show! It felt fairly respectful (with the exception of the slapper) and maybe reminiscent of the old days. Felt like I could have been watching an early APHG show with all that extra-special rawness, intimacy, and unpredictability.
Air keyboards are a pretty essential accompaniment to any Harry Merry set.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

LadyLazarus wrote:
I'm so bummed I didn't get to meet you, RareGoat. Next time!
Yep. I feel bad I missed such a rare opportunity. The London segment of our vacation was so short and chaotic (we spent much more time in Edinburgh) but I think if I'd planned better I could have pulled it off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:50 pm 
anonymaus

Just wondering, I know it's a couple of months away but are any of you guys heading to any of the San Francisco shows on October 13th/14th?

I'm coming to the US on holiday from the UK then (mainly travelling through the West Coast), and I'll be in SF over 13th/14th, so I thought I should catch an AP gig whilst I'm there (I've only seen him once in the UK, and I always seem to be out of the country whenever he's over here)!

I'm coming on holiday alone and I was going to go to one or both of the shows by myself, so I was wondering if any of you guys happened to be going too? Could maybe even have a few beers beforehand?

Will happily give anyone who hangs out some British Cadbury's chocolate to say thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:08 pm 
john everymaus

welcome to mausspace! You should definitely try to go to that SF show.

I have one ticket for the Ariel/Black Lips show in Portland for October 9th. I wasn't thinking when I bought it apparently, because I am going to Kraftwerk in Kansas City on that day and it would be difficult to do both....so...if anyone in PDX needs a ticket- let me know. I'd hate for it to go to waste.

I will get to see the AP/BL shows in Pioneertown on October 17th though, so super excited about that. I am hoping Ariel wears something old timey for that.. he really should, since he already has the cowboy boots.

Anyone else planning on making the trip out the Pioneertown?
Ricky, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:45 pm 
anonymaus

Anyone going to Week-End Festival in Cologne, or know anything about his billing as 'Ariel Pink + Choir'?

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:48 am 
country maus

Was the time they did "The People I'm Not" recorded? Also, I've heard tell of a 2005 concert in which Ariel does Lemon Meringue Pie, can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Atlanta setlist

Nighttime is Great
Dedicated to Bobby
I wanna be Young
White Freckles
Time to meet your God
Thespian City
Dreamdate Narcissist
Kinski Assassin
Time to Live
Another Weekend
Feels like Heaven
Put your Number in my Phone
Menopause Man
A Tomb of Your Own
?
Alisa
Jagged Carnival Tours
Baby
Round and Round

Encore:
Death Patrol
Bubblegum Dreams
Do Yourself a Favor

Highlight for me was Tomb, maybe the trippiest thing I’ve seen in concert for a long time.

Last edited by RareGoat on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

what a setlist, I'm glad you got to go |:o