Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

three more parts to go...on the edge of my seat
I hope The Return comes out on Blu-ray so that the Showtime subscription can be cancelled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:23 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Holy fuck last night was the best
:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm 
john everymaus

So good. SO GOOD!

Do you think Richard is actually dead, or perhaps in one of the lodges?

Where is the real Diane?

Where is Audrey?!?!

...and is anything even real?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:17 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I was surprised about Mr. C killing Richard but I always figured it was Bad Coop's son. I think he meant to extinguish him, but who knows if he's in the Black Lodge. I wanted Richard to suffer but this gave me mixed emotions. Like he and Diane were celebrating...
This makes me question where Audrey is. Her reality could be that she's at some mental hospital or something along those lines. Maybe she was taken by Mr. C and held captive for all those years, and maybe that's why hardly anyone mentions Audrey; perhaps they think she died at the bank. Perhaps that Charlie guy is her caretaker. It's all impossible to know, but if the next two parts are as good as this one, they should be able to give us more on the conclusion of part 16.

The Diane mystery is a big question mark to me. Maybe she's connected to Judy (could also be Sarah Palmer who is correlated to Judy). Perhaps Judy is the name of Diane's doppelganger who was put into the lodge after Mr. C raped her. Yep, that's a tough one.

Loved this part so much I'll probably watch it every night leading up to the finale. I just can't believe Agent Cooper is back!!! I couldn't help but smile :happy:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:45 pm 
the great maus detective

When Cooper returned I felt like I could finally breathe normally again (ah, it's all gonna be okay now). And the last bit with Audrey gave credence to a suspicion I've had (and many of you, probably) that the scenes with her thus far have been nothing but some nightmarish dream state where you've been rendered powerless by something intangible and unnameable. Bonkers perhaps, or drugged up in a mental institution.
As for the Diane thing, I'm still trying to figure that out. It was a bit cathartic to see her tough exterior finally collapse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:14 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Tonight :happy:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:43 pm 
anonymaus

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:16 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I couldn't have asked for a better ending. Art in its highest sense
:happy:
a pure joy to watch these last few months
I will miss it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:28 am 
the great maus detective

I'll be trying to figure this show out for the rest of my life. Not that I'm complaining.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:16 pm 
anonymaus

It's probably been said in this thread, and all over the internet for that matter (not sure where to go for good twin peaks discussion that doesn't resemble an AV Club comments section, with a bunch of theories about logic and shit) but I love how Lynch is:
a) similar to what he did in the 90's with the original series, he's using the dialect of today's TV landscape to sort of subvert it... Evil Cooper, to me, is almost like a parody of all these Bad Boy protagonists that are littered throughout "prestige television." Like in Breaking Bad or Fargo (season 1 at least) you get the sense that the characters have this supernatural aversion to being caught, but in The Return he literally is this supernatural demon who ultimately dies at the hands of Lucy. it's so perfect
b) doing a similar thing with the Dougie Coop character, where he's giving us what we want from reboots, as consumers of entertainment: a braindead man just grinning and repeating what people want to hear forever in a suburban purgatory (where better than Las Vegas to set Cooper's imprisonment in a barely functional body and mind?)

Throughout this show I was just so thrilled by Lynch's (and Frost, of course) disinterest in revisiting that character in a way that would've made everybody happy, but would've been unsatisfying compared to this story about how you're not able to really ever go home.

I probably am not sounding very articulate or intelligent here-- I just have to gush about how great this show is!! I've been rewatching season 3 with my parents and am loving it even more than my original watch through.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm 
john everymaus

sean wrote: *
I probably am not sounding very articulate or intelligent here-- I just have to gush about how great this show is!! I've been rewatching season 3 with my parents and am loving it even more than my original watch through.
No I totally feel you! Lynch and Frost knew exactly what they were doing and I'm so impressed. They totally subverted the idea of the TV reboot. It wasn't a nostalgia trip at all, although it did serve that purpose at times. When it did channel nostalgia there it was work to get there--no Cooper until part 16, no Audrey until part 12, no Ed until later as well. It did continue the story, and we got to see lots of old favorites, but it also was a vehicle for Lynch/Frost to explore new moods and feelings, new themes, a crazy new cast of characters. It expanded the scope of Twin Peaks immensely, and then they ended it in a similar fashion to the old, and we'll be talking about that ending for years to come.