Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Joe Maus plays bass, and other members are Jonathan at drums and Luke at keys
I believe they're all from MN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm 
anonymaus

AppTrans wrote: *
Joe Maus plays bass, and other members are Jonathan at drums and Luke at keys
I believe they're all from MN
Luke is a god and he just dropped a new song on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJmOPCGVoI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:10 pm 
mausterious

LadyLazarus wrote: *
Pets is an instant club hit. Sensitive Recollections is knocking me fucking dead. And he goes full punk in Over Phantom. Hype is real.
Sensitive Recollection is *the* track for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am 
city maus

did anyone pick up on the simon park nod on teenage witch? uploaded by none other than "frank james".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2VeKurBys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Harry wrote: *
did anyone pick up on the simon park nod on teenage witch? uploaded by none other than "frank james".

I did :|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 pm 
anonymaus

nice connection! i did not make that connection before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:44 am 
anonymaus

long time member, friend of the owner (if it is still DEAN). going to do the slightly annoying thing of writing my thoughts and then going back to read the thread. i stole the album but i've just ordered the box set. hope that's okay, readers!

heard the new album and I love it. i'm interested to hear what his guiding forces in terms of theoretical material and personal revelations, maybe even to try and understand what he thought he was trying to do - because to me that is part of the appeal.

it feels like a continuation of Censors in some regards, making a tight pop album with smart references to the pre-history of pop but in that idiosyncratic 'JOHN MAUS' style (you know what I mean). but there are some differences that I haven't quite picked out apart from to say it feels less ecclesiastical.

in fact I'll start negatives first and it's not even a big one but 'Decide Decide' doesn't *grab* me and that is what I enjoy most about Maus: that his songs reach out and grab you in strange emotional and intellectual ways. it just sort of happens in the background. i'll spend more time with it of course.

the rest of the songs are, in varying degrees, good. instant fav raves are People Are Missing, Bombs Away, Touchdown, Find Out, and Over Phantom. i like the slightly Reichian touch in Phantom where he seems to over-extend the line and start in a different place, creates this great chaos against the strictness of the beat. Find Out reminds me of another song he's done that I can't remember that doesn't have guitar on it, but it does similar new-wave chords but phrased unusually. it's probably on the recent compilation of unreleased stuff.

I didn't know what to think about The Combine when it was teased ahead of the album but it's a super opener. Of all of his songs I think that is the one that if it incorporated 'real' instruments it would grow the most. It's possible I expected this to lead into a really doomsaying album but then Teenage Witch comes off the back of it and it throws you. Classic John.

Pets is cool and it's really interesting how in a sense it is the most obvious chune on the album but it really has quite an extended prog-baroque midsection that leads to the payoff. if you take that along with the OVERDRIVE! OVERDRIVE! section on Touchdown it's like he's gone out of his way to amusingly sabotage any chance they'll get played in a club. which, to me, is a bonus.

Walls of Silence might not be the most spectacular chune Maus has put out but i. I like the stripped back Maus songs like Old Town and And The Rain and ii. its inclusion helps the dynamic flow of Memories as an album. In a certain regard I feel the same about Sensitive Recollections but also I realise it seems like a grave injustice to think of this in terms of bridging between high-energy bangers. They're both good songs.

The other two Edge of Forever, Teenage Witch - they're all good. Edge sort of suffers coming out of the back of Decide and if I was being nitpicky, which I am not, it makes the middle sag.

Going to enjoy listening to this over the next few months ahead of Addendum. No idea what's on that but can't wait all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:40 pm 
anonymaus

Hi,

Your order JOHNMAUSUxxxxxxxM has just been dispatched from our London warehouse to:

MysteryGuest
23 Erewhon Towers
Cloud Cuckoo Land

Please allow 2-3 working days for your order to arrive before getting in touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zilA3NibssI

:victory:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:02 pm 
anonymaus

Harry wrote: *

Nice spot! I hadn't noticed it, no. 8D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 pm 
john everymaus

I regret not ordering the box set... it's sold out. What's with the lack of news on a separate release for Addendum?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm elated I purchased the box set, in the event Addendum doesn't get a separate release. I hope it does for everyone else's sake. It'll probably get a digital release |:o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:42 pm 
anonymaus

Just been listening to my copy of the LP! Excellent cut/press/master, but with a bit of surface noise in the right hand channel right at the end of each side - only noticeable right at the end of the track though. So, so great to actually have a new, amazing, JM album after all this time! For some reason Edge of Forever, The People are Missing and Bombs Away seem to hang together better musically and make more sense than they did on the leak. And the apocalyptic vibe is distinctly clearer...

Yay! :victory:

:float:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm 
anonymaus

I'm wondering if Addendum might get a CD release but not a separate vinyl one. Time will tell I guess...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:44 am 
anonymaus

would have been really nice to have individual releases of all the records so far because I haven't got any of them physically and would like to (EDIT: i did not order the box in time as I had a pressing need to buy some shoes for work). Limited print runs can really suck for broke fans of someone with a motivated fanbase. I can understand wanting to keep Addendum as an incentive for the box but I expect it will come out later, somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:40 pm 
john everymaus

Gibby wrote: *
Limited print runs can really suck for broke fans of someone with a motivated fanbase. I can understand wanting to keep Addendum as an incentive for the box but I expect it will come out later, somehow.
For sure. And I feel like it frequently leads to nonfans purchasing in order to resell. :cmere: