Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: animal collective
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:06 am 
anonymaus

can someone tell me the point of their existence.
i don't understand why all my friends have turned into these bitches who can't stop talking about either
a.their gigs
b.how cute pandabear is( :delaware: ??wha?)
c. their retarded opinion on which album is better

and i don't know what it's like for other people , but i judge an artist on their last.fm. like if it turns into a shitty mess where pubescent boys witticisms all meet and die a slow public death http://www.last.fm/music/Animal+Collective i mean, 20,783 shouts?!

THE BEATLES HAVE 14,933 !!!
or someone we all love - john has 113

Post subject: Re: animal collective
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:18 am 
anonymaus

shit wrong board.

goddamn
so i gues it's good im not doing a degree related to computers
or reading

...or generally mind '' related''
cause im pretty stupid

yow :victory:

Post subject: animal collective
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:22 am 
anonymaus

urm i just made a post about this in the wrong place. fun for me.

i don't like animal collective
please say im not alone :delaware:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:40 am 
anonymaus

they are the greatest band

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:41 pm 
mausketeer

i'm sick of animal collective histeria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:57 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

AC is good, really good. but no band on earth deserves the acclaim they have recieved. just another band IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 am 

dennis! wrote:
and i don't know what it's like for other people , but i judge an artist on their last.fm. like if it turns into a shitty mess where pubescent boys witticisms all meet and die a slow public death http://www.last.fm/music/Animal+Collective i mean, 20,783 shouts?!

THE BEATLES HAVE 14,933 !!!
or someone we all love - john has 113
i def check out last.fm tags and pics for bands i haven't heard.

anyway, ac is good but ppl talking about them all the time can get a bit tiresome, i'd say.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:12 am 
anonymaus

:headslap:

I also do not completely understand all the praise. When Merriweather Post Pavilion came out I was attacked with so much chatter about this band. It seems that any hint of not having listless, drooling praise for them will result in attacks on intelligence, taste, and appearance of person expressing said opinions or lack of opinion (not too unlike radiohead)...bums me out when people make such a mockery of art. The Fall Be Kind ep is the first thing they have released that I have thought was awesome from beginning to end. most of their albums seem to be wishy washy, up and down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:12 pm 
anonymaus

I kind of like animal collective, but i honestly feel like merriweather was their worst album, and don't understand why it was what brought them all the praise. also, the recent talk is coming from people i typically don't like. i always hate when a band i like is being hyped, especially for little reason, by someone i loathe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 am 
mausterious

I think I listened to the new one either 2 or 3 times, and I was pretty much surprised by the reaction. "Loch Raven", "Grass", "Leaf House" aka the Sung Tongs/Feels era I think they were putting it all together, the earlier work sounded disjointed (to my ears) but with lots of promise.... post-Feels they have just rehashed the same stuff over and over.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:46 am 
mausketeer

gotta say i loved them for strawberry jams. i know i know, too poppy, not experimental enough. but there was a lot of raw energy and emotion present in the melodies and sounds. i will continue to praise the live set i saw in austin in 2007. they played strawberry jams and mixed it with songs from merriweather (before it was leaked) as well as feels and sung tongs. there was no break in the music, everything flowed seamlessly, everything was played live, and it didn't sound exactly like the albums. i have to respect them. my love for them definitely faded significantly after that release, though. i moved on. they don't "blow my mind" anymore. but there's nothing wrong with them. they got popular. so what. i don't know of any popular bands out there that don't have fans that annoy the piss out of me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

strawberry jam is my favorite as well... :festive:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:08 am 
mausketeer

pinkspoons wrote:
strawberry jam is my favorite as well... :festive:
yeah, i still listen to it every now and then and enjoy it a lot.
i also really enjoyed panda bear's second album. he creates such a good atmosphere, despite how simple the songs are. some of those songs make me feel like i'm hallucinating.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:12 am 
little maus on the prairie

by the way, if anyone is looking for the first panda bear album (self titled - panda bear) i found it the other day online. i imagine most of you probably have it but if not lemme know, i'll post the link.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:53 am 
anonymaus

I don't really talk to a lot of people so it's hard for me to get annoyed by any kind of trend or hyped up band, but I've definitely heard people who I do talk to complain about people talking to them about AC a lot and I guess that's not good. I definitely feel like after Sung Tongs, their music has gotten worse (though I started listening to them about when Prospect Hummer came out so maybe I just have this thing where I only like music that existed before I knew about it?). And by worse I mean more accessible which I guess would explain why indie hipsters would like them a lot now. I feel like currently they're on the cusp of being like a regular indie band but are just "weird" enough to make people feel cool for listening to their music. And Panda Bear is really cute.

It makes me sad that they're getting all this attention now, for this music that I don't really like that much (though I do like some songs on their newer albums). Also I'm sad that they'll probably continue to make this sample-based whatever dance music and be less and less crazy/"weird" like they were on their earlier albums.