Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:48 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

DttG wrote:
MausterofDisguise wrote:
MausterofDisguise wrote:
White Rain in the Windy Summer
:limp:
Ha, missed that :)
me too :blush:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:26 pm 
john everymaus

I think my current favorite is the self titled track. The album is still growing on me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

possiblegrenade wrote:
I think my current favorite is the self titled track. The album is still growing on me.
the title track's bridge harmonizing sounds very much like We're Only In It For The Money, uncannily so
this record knocks me out :victory:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:10 pm 
anonymaus

Man, that one two punch of Kitchen Witch followed by Do Yourself A Favor... I'm just thankful for Ariel and his music :victory:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

aoty for me :truluv:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 am 
anonymaus

Just had my first listen -

In the past I have put all Ariel's albums in the 'genius' pile, other than maybe Scared Famous which I don't gel with but is insane at least. This is the first one I've felt sort is both sort of 'safe' and also not that inspired.

He clearly took a very determined step back into his past sonically- it's not as clear and pristine as his 4AD albums. That always worked when the songs were either spectacular pop songs or inspired maze-like experiments that pulled from so many different references. I don't really think anything on here qualifies as either of those things that he does really well. Several are same-y shoegazey workouts that blend into each other and don't make a singular impression (Feels Like Heaven, Dedicated.., Kitchen Witch, etc.) some are serviceable but no Ariel magic to me (Bubblegum Dreams, Another Weekend).

I'd say my favorite so far is the Can-like Death Patrol, or maybe Acting - since it really hits that early 80s post-disco/boogie feel (due to Dam Funk's influence no doubt) which is like my #1 all-time favorite genre, but anyway.. overall I really hope it's a grower.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:48 pm 
anonymaus

Listened to 'A Heap Of Rotting Cassettes' radio show bootleg for the first time and realised that the title track is a reworking of what is known there as 'Time Dandelion'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:06 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

it is definitely a grower.

this thing is shaping up to be one of my favorite ariel records.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
the great maus detective

Still too early to tell how this fits in my imaginary Ariel Pink Hierarchy, but I do know there is a high number of moments on the album where I get the same subconscious tinge of familiarity that all my favorite AP material gives me. I linked to an interview a week or so ago (see Pink Hodgepodge thread) where he said that a lot of his basic musical ideas come from his musical memories as a child. I immediately knew what he meant because I grew up in the 70s and 80s and a lot of his stuff sounded like hazy memories of melodic hooks I may or may not have heard on the radio way back then, just a bit out of focus, and not easy to nail down. Its haziness gives it an impressionistic sheen, such that it sounds a little different depending on how closely you listen to it, and what else is going on in your head.

Anyway, I'm getting some of that with Bobby Jameson, probably more often than I did with the last couple of albums. That's all I was hoping for. So yay for that. :victory:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:34 pm 
mausketeer

basehead617 wrote: *
Just had my first listen -

In the past I have put all Ariel's albums in the 'genius' pile, other than maybe Scared Famous which I don't gel with but is insane at least. This is the first one I've felt sort is both sort of 'safe' and also not that inspired.

He clearly took a very determined step back into his past sonically- it's not as clear and pristine as his 4AD albums. That always worked when the songs were either spectacular pop songs or inspired maze-like experiments that pulled from so many different references. I don't really think anything on here qualifies as either of those things that he does really well. Several are same-y shoegazey workouts that blend into each other and don't make a singular impression (Feels Like Heaven, Dedicated.., Kitchen Witch, etc.) some are serviceable but no Ariel magic to me (Bubblegum Dreams, Another Weekend).

I'd say my favorite so far is the Can-like Death Patrol, or maybe Acting - since it really hits that early 80s post-disco/boogie feel (due to Dam Funk's influence no doubt) which is like my #1 all-time favorite genre, but anyway.. overall I really hope it's a grower.
"inspired maze-like experiments that pulled from so many different sources"

To me Kitchen Witch takes inspiration from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52iW3lcpK5M

and Dedicated to Bobby Jameson (title track) is partially inspired by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKU74Uns9_0

I'm hearing several other instances of homage as I listen to this album. I'll post more as they come to me.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment. What you say the album is lacking I say it maintains those things and more.

Ariel has outdone himself once again.

Last edited by pitilesscensor on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 pm 
mausketeer

RareGoat wrote: *
Still too early to tell how this fits in my imaginary Ariel Pink Hierarchy, but I do know there is a high number of moments on the album where I get the same subconscious tinge of familiarity that all my favorite AP material gives me. I linked to an interview a week or so ago (see Pink Hodgepodge thread) where he said that a lot of his basic musical ideas come from his musical memories as a child. I immediately knew what he meant because I grew up in the 70s and 80s and a lot of his stuff sounded like hazy memories of melodic hooks I may or may not have heard on the radio way back then, just a bit out of focus, and not easy to nail down. Its haziness gives it an impressionistic sheen, such that it sounds a little different depending on how closely you listen to it, and what else is going on in your head.

Anyway, I'm getting some of that with Bobby Jameson, probably more often than I did with the last couple of albums. That's all I was hoping for. So yay for that. :victory:
I think I nailed down a couple influences in my last post. But I could be off. That Madonna song in particular always resonated with me when I was a toddler. My older sisters listened to her constantly. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:24 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

pitilesscensor wrote: *
Ariel has outdone himself once again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:43 pm 
the great maus detective

pitilesscensor wrote: *
RareGoat wrote: *

I think I nailed down a couple influences in my last post. But I could be off. That Madonna song in particular always resonated with me when I was a toddler. My older sisters listened to her constantly. What do you think?
I see what you mean. I think the phrasing on Into The Groove and Kitchen Witch have some definite similarities. For me, that song reminded me a little of his own song Girl in a Tree, which itself reminds me of.... something I can't determine. As for Bobby Jameson (title track), I would never have linked that to Light My Fire, but I can see what you mean there too. Funny how we all hear the same songs, but they trigger different things in us - probably guided by our own personal experiences and such. Which I guess you could say about any music, but still. Bobby Jameson to me sounds like AP borrowed bits of Spires in the Snow and made an entirely new song out of it. Still trying to figure out what the "Tinsel Town Tranny" melody reminds me of...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:12 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I think it's the bass line spacing and the organ sound that might sound a little like Light My Fire but not much else - many groups in the 60s have those elements. It's an overall tribute to the garage psych sound it seems
Kitchen Witch isn't as danceable as Get Into the Groove, though I think the melody slightly resembles the chord sequence...I was trying to think of the song that sounds more like Kitchen Witch but for some reason it's not coming to me...soon enough |:o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:35 pm 
mausketeer

AppTrans wrote: *
I think it's the bass line spacing and the organ sound that might sound a little like Light My Fire but not much else - many groups in the 60s have those elements. It's an overall tribute to the garage psych sound it seems
Kitchen Witch isn't as danceable as Get Into the Groove, though I think the melody slightly resembles the chord sequence...I was trying to think of the song that sounds more like Kitchen Witch but for some reason it's not coming to me...soon enough |:o
You're probably right. It's just what I hear. I will say that friends actually thought the bridge in DTBJ was The Doors.

Those songs give me the feels in the same way Into The Groove and Light My Fire did as a kid. Something extra sensory.

Bubblegum Dreams. :festive:

Last edited by pitilesscensor on Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.