Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:55 pm 
mausketeer

RareGoat wrote: *
pitilesscensor wrote: *
RareGoat wrote: *
Still too early to tell how this fits in my imaginary Ariel Pink Hierarchy, but I do know there is a high number of moments on the album where I get the same subconscious tinge of familiarity that all my favorite AP material gives me. I linked to an interview a week or so ago (see Pink Hodgepodge thread) where he said that a lot of his basic musical ideas come from his musical memories as a child. I immediately knew what he meant because I grew up in the 70s and 80s and a lot of his stuff sounded like hazy memories of melodic hooks I may or may not have heard on the radio way back then, just a bit out of focus, and not easy to nail down. Its haziness gives it an impressionistic sheen, such that it sounds a little different depending on how closely you listen to it, and what else is going on in your head.

Anyway, I'm getting some of that with Bobby Jameson, probably more often than I did with the last couple of albums. That's all I was hoping for. So yay for that. :victory:
I think I nailed down a couple influences in my last post. But I could be off. That Madonna song in particular always resonated with me when I was a toddler. My older sisters listened to her constantly. What do you think?
I see what you mean. I think the phrasing on Into The Groove and Kitchen Witch have some definite similarities. For me, that song reminded me a little of his own song Girl in a Tree, which itself reminds me of.... something I can't determine. As for Bobby Jameson (title track), I would never have linked that to Light My Fire, but I can see what you mean there too. Funny how we all hear the same songs, but they trigger different things in us - probably guided by our own personal experiences and such. Which I guess you could say about any music, but still. Bobby Jameson to me sounds like AP borrowed bits of Spires in the Snow and made an entirely new song out of it. Still trying to figure out what the "Tinsel Town Tranny" melody reminds me of...

The song Dedicated to Bobby Jameson is an update on an old AP song "time dandelion" which can be found on oddities and sodomies v2 and vital pink among others, def a doors tribute in the new version, the organ parts are very ray manzerick in the solo part. the phrase "tinsel town tranny" is just taken from the song of the same name found on FF>> he just took the phrase and matched it to the original melody for the chorus of time dandelion. h left most of the original lyrics in tact besides the chorus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIr1D7xVyM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:45 am 
mausopatamia

Hammy, thank you for playing the pedant before i had the chance to. Ariel Pink fandom is serious bidnizz.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

i like this record. A LOT. :delaware:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:06 pm 
mausketeer

pinkspoons wrote: *
i like this record. A LOT. :delaware:
This album has made my Summer 10x better!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

aoty for me. that is saying a lot due to the massive amount of good music in 2017. but i can't say that i am surprised.

ariel always delivers 8D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

bring on that deluxe LP :arms:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 pm 
mausketeer

Cancelled my order from Mexican Summer and ordered from here:

https://arielpink.bandcamp.com/album/de ... by-jameson

This way I'll get the WAV files and the physical copies.

$71 total for the album, the 7" and shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:14 pm 
anonymaus

I really like this album (surprise surprise). Concise, not the usual all over the place hodgepodge. More of a 60s vibe throughout mixed with some dreamy 80s stuff. No real funk or "prog" elements on this one (save Acting which feels tacked on).

Someone upthread said it was "safe" and I thought that at first, too, but "comfortable" would be the word I would now use. It's just Ariel making an album of good to great songs - nothing he really hasn't done before and no huge surprises. Kind of reminds me of Before Today in that way - and unlike Pom Pom which is sprawling and overstuffed... gluttonous really. In that way Pom Pom is more adventurous and manic while this one is more like a old friend come back home.

And I totally got a Light My Fire vibe from the end of the title track - think that's very intentional. The whole history of LA thing...

Favorites: Death Patrol, Kitchen Witch, Time to Live - there's only one track I'm pretty meh on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:04 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

My favorite songs are Time To Meet Your God & Death Patrol
After several listens of DTBJ, I think pom pom is better imho
:creep:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

yeah, pom pom is an opus of sorts. so i might have to agree with you.

although, i like the recording choices on this one better than pom pom. not that big of a quality gap though.

pom pom - 9.8
dtbj - 9.5

imho :delaware:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 pm 
anonymaus

You know how those lucky Japanese residents always get bonus tracks on their releases (mature themes has Love Everyone, one of my absolute faves). Well I found this...

http://hostess.co.jp/releases/2017/09/HSE-8024.html

all of non sequitur segues is listed, but there, tacked on the end of the album...
Revenge of the iceman!?
>:P

I want all the tracks the greedy human that i am

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:36 pm 
the great maus detective

I love the fact that the b-side of Another Weekend is called "Ode to the Goat (Thank You)". I see it as a personal tribute to me :happy:
The single should arrive in my mailbox any day now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

people have been getting their 7" in the mail but i haven't received my yet. hoping someone uploads the bside.

:kebab:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:22 pm 
mausopatamia

golddust wrote: *
No real funk
Death Patrol??!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm 
anonymaus

Ha ha yeah that's kind of funky but it's clown car funk at that and only the verses.
Not an insult! One of my favorite tracks. I love how it fades into the dreamier chorus part.